Welcome to our comprehensive guide to the best big tench venues in the UK! Tench, also known as the “Doctor Fish,” are a highly sought-after species among anglers for their spirited fight and distinctive appearance. The UK has numerous prime tench fishing locations attracting experienced and novice anglers alike. We aim to provide you with an extensive list of the top tench venues across the country so that you can easily plan your next angling adventure.
|Venue Name||Location||Notable Catch (Weight)|
|Bluebell Lakes||Northamptonshire||15 lbs 3 oz|
|Elstow Pit||Bedfordshire||14 lbs 12 oz|
|Summer Pit||Essex||14 lbs 7 oz|
|Bawburgh Fisheries||Norfolk||14 lbs 4 oz|
|Newdigate Farms Fishing||Surrey||14 lbs 2 oz|
|Willow Park Fishery||Hampshire||13 lbs 13 oz|
|Orchid Lakes||Oxfordshire||13 lbs 8 oz|
|The Carp Society’s Horseshoe Lake||Gloucestershire||13 lbs 6 oz|
|Linear Fisheries||Oxfordshire||13 lbs 4 oz|
|St. Ives Lakes||Cambridgeshire||13 lbs 2 oz|
|Cottington Lakes||Kent||12 lbs 15 oz|
|Farlows Lake||Buckinghamshire||12 lbs 12 oz|
|Creedy Lakes||Devon||12 lbs 10 oz|
|Mill Farm Fishery||West Sussex||12 lbs 8 oz|
|Monks Pit||Cambridgeshire||12 lbs 6 oz|
We hope the above table has provided valuable insights into the top big tench venues in the UK. As you can see, each location offers something unique, catering to various angling preferences and skill levels. Don’t forget to research each venue’s rules and regulations before visiting, as they may differ from one place to another. Now that you’re equipped with this knowledge, it’s time to get out there and land that trophy tench you’ve been dreaming of!
- What is the best time of year to catch tench? Tench are most active during the warmer months, with the prime fishing season being from late spring to early autumn. Early morning and late afternoon are often the most productive times of day.
- What bait should I use for tench fishing? Popular baits for tench include maggots, sweetcorn, worms, and pellets. Experimenting with different baits and flavors can be key to a successful tench fishing session.
- Are there any specific techniques for catching tench? Tench can be caught using a variety of methods, such as float fishing, ledgering, and feeder fishing. The choice of technique may depend on the specific venue and conditions, so it’s wise to research your chosen location beforehand.
- Do I need a specific rod and line for tench fishing? Tench can be caught using a variety of tackle, but a medium to heavy feeder rod or an all-round float rod is recommended. A 6-10lb line strength should be suitable for most situations.
- Do I need a fishing license to fish for tench in the UK? Yes, you will need a valid Environment Agency rod licence to fish for tench in the UK. Licences can be purchased online, at a post office, or by calling the Environment Agency. Additionally, some venues may require a separate day ticket or membership.
Remember, fishing for tench is not only a fun and rewarding experience but also helps promote the sport and maintain the rich angling heritage in the UK. Tight lines and happy fishing!